I received a request from my friend Kristi to give some interior design tips for dummies. Well, I don't think you are dummies, but maybe design challenged. So, this week's podcast is going to go through some quick and dirty tips to help you design your space. If you are on iTunes take a listen and make sure you subscribe to receive new podcasts when they go live. Here's a brief synopsis to get you started.
- Start with your style (don't forget to include your partners style too!). This will help you figure out what your plan is, which will make it less overwhelming when you go shopping.
- How do you want the home to feel. This will also help drive your decisions
- How do you want the space to function. What do you want to be able to do in the space.
- Set your budget. No really!!! What is your budget?
- Split up your budget by current needs and long term goals/needs.
- I recommend saving up money for what you really want.
- Make a furniture plan
- Mock layout your furniture to figure out the best size and where the furniture should go.
- Make sure your measure your entryway and stairwells and anyway the furniture has to enter the house. Make sure it will fit into the house.
- Figure out the best height as well and spatial size for each item.
- Realize that this takes time. Unless you are on an HGTV show it is going to take you some time to hone in on your design style, figure out what your budget and plan is and go shopping.
Always remember that I am here to help! If you get stuck or aren't sure even where to start feel free to reach out to me. Also, if you have any questions that you want answered on future podcasts let me know in the comments below!