Here is what I've learned from styling- keep playing with it. As you can see from the GIF below it took a couple of tries before I got the right feel.
I started with this diagram about design by Charles Eames. Once I got the pulley in place (available in the shop) the other side just needed a little tweaking.
I love the end result that is a mixture of industrial, modern and a bit twee. The pitcher with flowers helps add some height. The mid-century modern vase plays off nicely with the Eames print. The sweet deer (which unfortunately has already sold) makes the whole thing not seem too serious.
- First start with something large and bold that will have an impact.
- Next start layering items that complement your centerpiece. In this styling I had a theme and all of the items fit within that theme.
- You will notice that there is a certain symmetry to this styling, but it isn't perfect. Our eye is drawn to symmetry, but I think when it is too equal then it starts too feel too formal and staid.
- Use books to add height to items
- Add things to your mantel that you love and want to display
- Play with it. It some times takes me days of moving stuff around to finally decide I'm done.
If something caught your eye, most of the items seen pictured, except for the Eames print, are available in the shop. Please buy it so I don't keep it and add it to the collection on my mantel!